Sunday, February 8, 2009

Don't trust anyone over $30,000 a year


Years ago, a co-worker once told me, "What's good for my boss is good for me." I wonder what the folks at Enron think about that?

Doesn't matter. What I'm griping about today is the Fair Tax, a system of taxing that I don't trust. Why? Because I don't trust rich people. If I ever become one, I'll likely still have a sketchy opinion of them.

The Fair Tax has been around for a while, but luckily hasn't reached the level of law. Neal Boortz might like it, because it's supposedly progressive and "fair." If everyone is taxed at the same level, then democracy has won!

But if Richie Rich makes $30,000 a month and has to pay $1,000 through the tax, why is that fair to the guy that makes $2,000 a month who pays the same amount for eggs and biscuits? Do you think the supposed prebate will truly offset the purchase of necessities? Do you trust the government to get that prebate to the millions of households across the country in a timely manner each month?

And then there's the problem of relying on a national sales tax to fund your government. There's no problem when times are good, but what about right now? The economy's bad, people don't buy as much and the government's revenues go down. States already have that trouble - do we really want it on the national level?

Our current tax system is definitely awful, horrible and wretched. But as clunky as it is, the federal government gets its money and continues to operate in its own unique way.

You want to kill that whole system and replace it with something Americans are completely unfamiliar with now?

No comments:

Free Blog CounterGimahhot