Sunday, November 16, 2008

Talking freedom


During the presidential campaign, I neglected to write about the kid that got an electric shock when he tried to take down a McCain sign and replace it with one for Obama. I should have. That kid ticked me off, as did the parent that put him up to it.

It represented one of the worst aspects of people in this country and it is something I consider the height of anti-Americanism. I may support Obama, and I have every right to. But I never have the right to trespass on your property, deface or remove your campaign sign and replace it with one of my own.

So to the kid who got shocked - hope you've learned a lesson. I also hope a court slaps your parent with a nice fine, too.

I was reminded of that story when I read this. It's a pretty haunting story about the racism that, kept quiet and anonymous most of the time, has boiled over following Obama's victory. Vandalism, threats of assassination, defacing and tearing down an Obama poster that hung on the door of a University of Alabama professor's office - these are acts committed by those who no doubt believe they are justified because they may think America has turned its back on what makes it great. Listen to this guy, who's quoted in the story:

"Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.
"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said."

Ya know, Griffin, I have no problem with you expressing that sentiment. There are others, however, who go beyond words and break laws by scrawling epithets into sidewalks and cars.

To those who think you are expressing the "real" America by those acts, know that you are wrong. You represent the hate in this country that should not be here.

You can leave - now.

No comments:

Free Blog CounterGimahhot