Sunday, December 14, 2008

Attack of the Kennedys


Look, I understand that in the absence of a senator, that state's governor gets to name a successor.

Fine. It's the rules, and we gotta live by them. But being an incumbent brings certain advantages, meaning whoever gets the nod to fill Hillary Clinton's seat gets a leg up on staying in office come election time.

And that brings me to Caroline Kennedy, who's been mentioned as a possible fit to the empty chair. An attorney, her whole life in the public eye, one might think she'd be great to grace the Senate halls.

But I have to ask - haven't we had enough Kennedys in office? Hey, I hate to be a downer here, but didn't we want to be our own nation partially because of a failed feudal system?

Oh, I'm using hyperbole, you say? Whatever. JFK got the word "Camelot" attached to him, the whole family has essentially become American royalty and I don't like the idea of so much power being concentrated in one family.

I understand it's human nature to consolidate such power. Noble houses did a pretty good job of it. However, I don't like the idea of continuing that tradition no matter how much good any particular person, or family, might do.

If the people of New York choose to elect Caroline, fine. But let her earn it like any other politician. Don't just hand her the seat, bow your head and scuttle away like some peon.

We've come a little farther than that.

No comments:

Free Blog CounterGimahhot