Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Debate? Town hall meeting? Any difference?


So, I watched the second presidential debate Tuesday night. Actually, I was vaguely listening to it while playing cards, but it was streaming in the background of my PC nonetheless.

Here's what I learned: There didn't appear to be any difference in a debate or a town hall meeting. Both candidates still had their stock of prepared answers to any question given them. Both would completely avoid answering a specific question if they didn't want to, wander off into some more familiar country and the moderator would let them. And both used the opportunity to dig into the other and basically try to rally their supporters while getting new ones.

The only thing that seemed to be different was the lack of podiums. Instead, the candidates lounged against hip chairs while waiting for their turn, casually holding their microphones.

Is this the format John McCain was dying for? Did I miss something? I already miss the rough-and-tumble of the vice presidential debate, dontcha know?

And to make the whole thing that much worse, I don't feel like I learned anything. These debates don't help people decide who to vote for. It just provides more fodder for their devotees to fawn over and mishaps for the other guys to use in their blog posts the next day.

No comments:

Free Blog CounterGimahhot