Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Al Smith dinner


Well, I missed it again. The annual Al Smith dinner, in honor of the late, great New York governor Al Smith, was held this past week and I was busy doing actual work instead of yukking it up with the haves and have-mores. Though I did miss the foie gras, I wanted to share a few zingers that I found particularly interesting.

From McCain:

'When a reporter asked him if Senator Obama was qualified to be president, Bill Clinton pointed out, sure, he's over 35 years of age and a U.S. citizen."

"...I understand that Keith Olbermann has ordered up his very own "mission accomplished" banner. And they can hang that in whatever padded room has been reserved for him. Seriously, Chris, if they need any decorating advice on that banner, ask Keith to call me so I can tell him right where to put it."
From Obama:

"It is an honor to be here with Al Smith. I obviously never knew your great grandfather, but from everything that Senator McCain has told me, the two of them had a great time together before Prohibition. So -- wonderful stories."

"But in the spirit of full disclosure, there are a few October surprises you'll be finding out about in the coming weeks. First of all, my middle name is not what you think. It's actually Steve. That's right. Barack Steve Obama."

Ba-da-bing!

But a little more seriously, I hunted down a few stories about the dinner and had difficulty finding a specific mention that it was for a Catholic charity. Is it deliberate, an honest mistake by the media? If I was writing the story, I think I'd include what type of charity it was for. Not like the cardinal decked out in red isn't a tip off, though...

No comments:

Free Blog CounterGimahhot