Sunday, March 23, 2008

All bets are on


A friend of mine, we'll call him Adam, and I have a couple of bets riding on this November's presidential election. Both are contingent on Obama getting the nomination, and if for some reason he doesn't become the Dems standard bearer, we'll no doubt place new bets.


The first involves the potential of an assassin killing Obama. Apparently, both me and my friend have such a callous attitude toward human life that we're willing to put money on whether someone will die or not.


Anways, if Obama gets the nod and isn't killed by the successful election of the new president, Adam pays me $25. If he is killed, I pay him $50. I gave him odds; seriously, Obama's going to live to a ripe old age.


The second bet I have is on McCain. He's going all the way to the white residence. It hit me as I was driving to Atlanta early Friday morning, so I called Adam up and left him a message saying I'd put $20 on McCain winning the presidency. Adam would only take the bet if Obama won the nomination. Hillary, he assures me, would fail against McCain in November.


I guess we'll see.

2 comments:

Larry said...

This reminds me of the stand up routine of a black comic (sorry can't remember which one) back in the day when Jesse Jackson was making large waves in the democratic primary. The comic would pretend to be President Jackson giving a speech to the American people. We would deliver the speech while running from one side of the stage to the other while ducking, weaving and dodging the whole time. It was very funny to watch but it also brought it home pretty strong that that, at least back then, there were several segments of our society that would want the first black president dead. I truly hope you never find yourself in the position collecting on this bet. You wouldn't enjoy writing the articles you would be writing about the riots, violence and destruction that would surely follow. Maybe we have progressed far enough as a society that you've made a sucker bet.

Alan Riquelmy said...

No, both of us want me to collect on the bet. I've got money on the belief that Obama will not be killed by an assassin. That's why I gave Adam odds. He understands that the chances of Obama getting killed are much lower, and therefore I must pay him more if he is successfully killed.

I agree, our country would be tarnished and sullied by the death of Obama. I do not believe he will be killed.

And I feel so strongly about that belief that I'm willing to put money on it.

Free Blog CounterGimahhot